Ardent Goods Short Order Cook – Beautiful New Heights?
The GrillJunkie team just discovered a new accessory for our Weber Smokey Joe 14″ Grill. The Ardent Goods Short Order Cook – a mahogany prep, grill and serve table that may just lift our beloved kettle grill to new heights, literally. But did it live up to our expectations?
On a consistent basis the team here at GrillJunkie™ sets time aside to communicate our formal rating on either a Grilling, BBQ or Burger related product. We do this via our Grilling Product Reviews process. As you certainly can imagine these products run the gamut from: Gotta Have It!, Cool, Useful, Utilitarian, Ridiculous and the, well, Just Plain Asinine! The spectrum of grilling related products is wide.
Today’s Grilling Product Reviews candidate:
The GrillJunkie™ Grilling Product Reviews (GPR) Scale
Based on our extensive field research, the GrillJunkie Product Review team assigns a formal rating to every product that we test. This rating is based on a 1-5 Firepot structure adepicted through our Grilling Product Review (GPR) scale as illustrated below. The number of Firepots given to the grilling product indicates its final rating. The higher the number of Firepots, the more positive the review.
Quick Product Reviews Rating: For the more impatient reader who needs to get the rating right away, we gave the $199 Ardent Goods Short Order Cook a 4.3 out of 5 GrillJunkie™ GPR Firepots. This rating equates to a Hot product. The product addresses and solves the problem for which it was designed via a beautifully designed, fully assembled, high quality Meranti Mahogany prep, grill and serve table that will take your Weber Smokey Joe kettle grill to new heights! For more detail on this Product Review, as well as the many upcoming Grilling Product Reviews on our schedule, read on!
Here’s a quick overview video of the Short Order Cook Product Review:
Did the Ardent Goods Short Order Cook raise our 14″ kettle grill to new heights?
Ardent Goods Short Order Cook Review – Tailgater’s Dream?
The GrillJunkie Grilling Product Reviews follow a comprehensive structure which includes the:
- Problem that needs to be solved or addressed
- Solution to that problem
- Good, Bad and Ugly elements of the product
- Verdict – the official GrillJunkie™ GPR (Grilling Product Reviews Rating)
So let’s dig in to the Short Order Cook product review.
Official Product Review and GPR
- Problem – The way we view it, there are many benefits of owning a Weber Smokey Joe 14″ kettle grill. Mainly, this grill is well-built, portable and a great travel companion for tailgating trips, camping, trips to the beach or even keeping at home for that family meal. However, this grill can prove to be a bit frustrating when trying to find a safe, sturdy and fire-safe platform to place the grill. In addition to this, having to stoop down to light and cook on it due to the grill’s height, although charmingly depicted in product brochures can get a bit burdensome after tending to the grill for more than a few minutes. The GrillJunkie team is guilty of placing ours on picnic tables, flat rocks, driveways and other less than safe and desirable spots. Where do you place the hot hood when checking on grilling foods…where do you place the tongs and/or spatula, etc.
- Product’s Solution Pitch – The Ardent Goods’ approach to addressing the problem was to develop, market and distribute the handcrafted mahogany Short Order Cook grilling, preparation and serving table. According to the company’s marketing material and ad copy:
“The word ardent means passionate, fierce and fiery. That’s our story, and we’re sticking to it. Our purpose is to handcraft grill furniture and related products that enable people to enthusiastically enjoy and share their time with family and friends.About 10 years ago, Carl built a beautiful cabinet to house his beloved Weber grill. (The grill itself was a wedding gift – now 30 years old and going strong … the grill and the marriage.) Friends who saw it told him he had to start making them to sell. But life was busy. With two kids, two careers in high-tech, friends and family, and a dozen hobbies between us, there was never enough time to pursue it. But, life is short …Given our backgrounds as entrepreneurs, we re-imagined that 10-year-old grill station – updated, better looking, and cooler. We went on to prototype other grill stations inspired by the new look. After much market research, we took the leap to form a company making products that we ourselves would use and love.Since Ardent Goods was launched in 2014, initial response to the Short Order Cook has been amazing. Every day we have ideas for accessories and enhancements that are in keeping with the Ardent Goods ethos, so our Sudbury, Massachusetts workshop is busy. But, it’s never too busy to carve out time for another grilling adventure. Happy Grilling!”
The Good – The product has a few important positive attributes. First of all, the Ardent Goods product team did indeed address the problem head on with a beautiful, well designed, well constructed, materially strong and versatile product. Under extensive product testing using various outdoor tailgating environments and even a fun trip to the beach, the hard to impress GrillJunkie team found that this grilling product:
- Is handcrafted in the USA
- Arrived fully assembled
- Is designed with a simple folding system which allowed us to pop it open and close it up using included locking pins for upright or folded positions.
- Is lightweight, portable and fully collapsible
- Is made of beautiful, naturally weather resistant Meranti Mahogany
- Was easy to store – stood vertically to take up less space.
- Securely held our 14″ kettle grill at a convenient, flush height
The Bad – There are, however, some very minor constructive criticisms including a few more tool hangers, potential wheels for extra maneuverability, and height adjustment options.
The Ugly – We did not believe that this variable directly applied to this product. In fact, the Short Order Cook is an extremely attractive, handmade, artisan-style mahogany prep, grill and serving table that will bring your 14″ kettle grill to new heights!
Verdict – We give the Ardent Goods’ Short Order Cook a 4.3 out of 5 GrillJunkie™ GPR Firepots. This rating equates to a Hot product. The product brilliantly addresses and solves the problem for which it was designed in an uncomplicated, attractive, durable, and well engineered product that will prove to be a tailgater’s dream.
We look forward to any new product developments that will come from the Ardent Goods team. The future is ours to see. Stay tuned! We only have about 25 products on our Grilling Product Reviews schedule before that.
GrillJunkie Rating of Short Order Cook = 4.3 / 5.0
Next Review: The Saber 500 SS
What are your thoughts? What Fires You Up? We welcome your comments, healthy debate, and the inevitable disagreement. Leave a reply or comment. It’s OK. Bring it on! Don’t want to miss a GrillJunkie blog post? Join our Newsletter Club or subscribe to our RSS list.